Tuesday 26 April 2011

Kynance Cove

I've heard so many good things about Kynance Cove, and as my parents live relatively close to it, I requested that we visit on Easter Monday.
The drive from Penzance to Kynance Cove is pretty spectacular, as it's all country lanes lined with pretty hedgerows, blooming at this time of year with yellow, white, pink and blue flowers. Nearing Lizard Point the road becomes littered with signposts signalling secluded coves, and I'd love to visit for a week in Summer with a tent and a car or bike, as this part of the country is unspoilt.
We reached the sign for Kynance Cove, parked the car and walked down the road to avoid the carparking charges. The walk down was a nature trail of adders and millipedes, and smelt beautifully of fresh air and wild flowers. We reached the car park and followed the track across the cliffs and down to the cove.
The view approaching the cove is stunning, and typically Cornish with the rough blue sea, rocks and dramatic cliffs. I'd been told that this would be a good beach for swimming, but the tide was high and the sea choppy, so stayed on shore with my nephews, digging holes and stroking millipedes.
After a few hours the collective decision was made to visit the cafe behind us, and I believe that this cafe must possess one of the most spectacular views there could be. Nothing between us and the Atlantic, just a grassy lawn.
Kynance Cove is a special place, and I hope I return soon, on a bike, on a calm day. I can't wait to swim here.

No comments:

Post a Comment